Monday, October 11, 2010

Fruits of Our Labor

In an earlier post, I mentioned the garden that the kids have been tending since Spring.

It has been a blessing for so many reasons. The kids have learned so much about plants and nature, they have witnessed and discovered things like:

How the plants grow from seed to fruit bearing plant.

They have witnessed the plant"s stages of growth, and seen the miracle of God's creation

first -hand.

They have built a relationship with their garden.

They have learned how to be responsible.

They have discovered a new appreciation from theveggies that they harvest

and have learned to be thankful

They have even discovered and learned about bugs and insects that now inhabit their little garden. But I think the MOST important thing... is that they have learned these things on their own

They actually OWN their garden.

In the beginning, I taught them how to weed, trim and harvest... but since that time, they have cared for their garden on their own. I do not have to tell them to water it, I do not have to tell them to care for it. They know that it is THEIRS, and they relish the thought of it.

Since this spring we have made a number of changes to the garden. This past week, we did away with our cucumbers and tomatoes... and have planted some lovely fall crops!...

Say "mmmm....." for butternut squash and pumpkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcome :)

"A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it
down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by
acting."- Henry David Thoreau.

“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
-Proverbs 22:6