Monday, September 5, 2011

August Liturgical Tea... The Assumption of our Blessed Mother

To Kick off our new school year....to Pilot our NEW Pickwick Society Liturgical Year curriculum
And Most importantly to celebrate the Assumption of the Blessed mother.
We set up and tested out some of our newly created Pickwick Liturgical Tea Recipes.

For the past year, a good friend of mine and myself,
have been creating and writing a Virtue based curriculum which is centered on the traditional celebrations in the Liturgical year.

This curriculum goes hand and hand with The Pickwick Society program that I started up a few years ago. Many of you may be familiar with our Pickwick program.
It was borne of the idea, that our daughters would be able
to flourish in a environment in which they are surrounded by like-minded girls, with traditional Catholic beliefs and values.

The Pickwick society is a relaxed and informal setting, in which the girls are taught the tools and skills necessary to becoming a successful wife and mother. It provides a place for them to learn the lost art of handicraft, but most of all it provides an environment for them to discuss and grow in Virtue and
Faith.

All of these studies are essential to their God-given role as nurturer and caregiver.
Mind you, the curriculum does is NOT only for "someday wives
and mothers"... Although, I do think this to be one of the noblest and most sacrificial of all possible Occupations.
These Skills, virtues, and traditions are important for any girl of any
potential professions. We need more Faith-filled,
virtuous girls in this world. Girls that will become nurturers and Caregivers to all in need:

"For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me
: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed
thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? Or when did we
see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? And
the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me."

-Matthew 25:25-40

As mentioned above,

This year we decided to enhance and deepen our virtue studies.
We also decided to add a liturgical celebration. It makes a lot of sense for these girls to learn
more about and expand upon the traditions of their catholic Faith. These Celebrations help promote a sisterly environment. they also help bring a certain aspect of the Faith into focus.
Our hope is that some of these celebrations and lost traditions one day become traditions in the

in own homes.
Regina Crostata- Notice the little crown on Top
a Gorgeous fruit and Cream cheese filling
Marian Sandwiches- These are simple Turkey Sandwiches
with a cute little Pressing of the Blessed Mother on the Bread
Bleeding Heart Cookies- these are wonderful almond
based cookies with a sweet Jam filling.
This recipe can be used for multiple Liturgical celebrations
Our Liturgical Tea Consists also of a Picture Study.
There are so Many Fantastic pieces of Art work
centered around the Life of Christ and our Catholic Faith.
This Picture is titled:
"The Assumption of the Virgin"- Andrea Del Castagno
Our Curriculum also includes a Hymn Study.
The Hymns chosen for the Tea, are Traditional Catholic Latin Hymns and Chants
That go with our celebration. This provides such a wonderfully; spiritually enriching quality to our Tea.
our Little ones Enjoying the tea, and helping serve each other
This is such a sweet example of our natural instinct to help and serve
The wonderful thing about these teas, is that our Boys enjoy them as well.
I think they may even enjoy tea time better than the girls :)
Tea for TWO!!

1 comment:

  1. Year ideas are so yummy! I hope all is well in your homeschool world.

    ReplyDelete

comments welcome :)

"A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it
down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by
acting."- Henry David Thoreau.

“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
-Proverbs 22:6