Monday, October 20, 2008

The Peter Pan Experience

We are currently in the process of indulging in the story of Peter Pan.
I must admit that I am enjoying it every bit as much as the children are. I have never had the pleasure of reading it before. And, I know that I Missed something very profound and magical in not experiencing it sooner. Still, there is something Grand in reading a children's story That has the capabilities of provoking the childish fancies of even an adult. And, I feel so full filled in knowing that this book will be one of many that my children and I have the opportunity of experiencing together.
We are thrilled with the gorgeous weather, and were able to dress in our Peter Pan gear... as we tried in desperation to act out every precise moment of the chapter, so as not to miss any important detail. My daughter played the part of Wendy, who tried in vain to keep up with the naughty Tinkerbell, only to be shot by one of the lost boy's arrows. My son played the part of the fearless Peter Pan, so willing to build the best of houses for the injured Wendy. And on this Particular day, I played the part of the Lost boy, Tootles, who tries so hard to be the best Lost boy ever.
The chapter has blessed us by portraying each character so distinctly, that we were able to see each character's goodness or fault. We now know which of all these character's we do not wish to be.
Tinker bell- once the more preferred character of my little girl, has shown herself so full of jealousy and spite. Even worse, she does not feel sorry in the least. we wait to see if she redeems herself.
Peter pan- So full of ego. He is very self centered and overly confident, yet in this chapter he has shown a great deal of love and compassion for Wendy.
Wendy- We have not seen a true fault in Wendy, besides her weakness in will. She has been enticed by the Majesty of never land... and has abandoned her responsibilities... but we know she will learn her lesson.
Tootles- Poor tootles. He is so eager to please. So invested in trying to be the "best" lost boy. He forgets to think before shooting his arrow. Even still, How noble of him to stand before Peter and admit that he is at fault.
Surely, you can see how pleased I am with this wonderful reading. I have gained so much from it. To think that someone can write such lessons within the chapter of a children's novel, gives me faith in the fact that NO lesson has to be drilled into a child. It just needs to be gently and lovingly provided in a form and fashion befitting the nature of the child.
Of course, I did not need to convey to my children the character analysis provided above. No, the above analysis is what I learned from the novel myself. I could tell by my children's reaction to the reading and re-enacting of the chapter... that they received their own lesson. Some of that lesson was what I took away from it... but I think that the majority of their lesson was Much, Much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments welcome :)

"A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it
down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by
acting."- Henry David Thoreau.

“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
-Proverbs 22:6